Last night, our troop held its third formal Court of Honor (COH) program. We typically get the badges and recognition patches distributed promptly after each scout completes the requirements, but we also like to hold a ceremony to give the scouts an opportunity to be recognized in front of their peers and family members, too.
We’ve been building our COH programs around a theme — each highlights one of the eight methods of the scouting program. We’ve previously covered “Scouting’s Ideals” and “Advancement”. Last night we focused on “Leadership Development” during the Scoutmaster Minute (which will be posted separately).
The program included:
- An opening ceremony (presentation of flags, pledge of allegiance, opening prayer);
- A narrated slideshow presentation on the Scout Oath and Law titled; “What is a Scout?”
- An advacement ceremony to handout certificate cards for completed merit badges and ranks (14 Oceanography MB, 3 Law MB, 3 American Heritage MB, 1 Camping MB, 1 Personal Fitness MB, 1 Personal Management MB, 3 Scout Badges, 3 Tenderfoot Badges, 1 First Class Badge and 1 Life Badge)
- A candle lighting ceremony designed to educate the audience on the eight methods of scouting
- A Scoutmaster Minute on Leadership Development
- A closing ceremony
We concluded the evening with a reception in the Adult Lounge/multipurpose room.
NOTE: There will be NO MEETING next week (12/19). We will have a bowling outing on 12/26 at Hackensack lanes. Details have been sent directly to our troop families. Our next evening meeting is planned for 1/2/2012. It will be a patrol/PLC/Troop Guide meeting unless a special speaker can be arranged to visit our troop — details will be sent by email prior to the date.