Last night’s meeting was a lot of fun. First we celebrated the advancement of several scouts:
- Thomas C. was awarded Communications MB and Star Rank. Thomas completed the requirements prior to his 18th birthday and has now left our troop as he pursues college full-time.
- Eric S. was belatedly awarded his Tenderfoot patch due to a mix up on records, but now he’s got it!
- Alex T. wasn’t able to be at our meeting, but we did recognize his recent completion of both Tenderfoot and Second Class.
- Stephen F. and Josh F. both received their National Outdoor Awards for Camping 25+ nights within the scouting program.
The troop talked about which summer camp we’d prefer to attend this year. There was analysis of merit badge programs, discussion of which camp offered COPE programs, pools versus lakes, outpost trek opportunities, ATV riding versus horseback riding and more.
In the end everyone decided on Camp Somers at Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation offered the best value, the most opportunities for activities and a reasonable balance of merit badge programs. Camp Somers also has some unique programs available for older scouts such as ATV course, Cooperative Marksmanship Program, COPE and handgun range for Venturer Aged Scouts and Adults.
Our SPL led the troop through a recap of the Citizenship in the Nation merit badge session and introduced Citizenship in the Community. The troop, in small groups, completed requirements #1 and #6 during the meeting. The remainder of the requirements will be completed by the scouts on their own or in small groups on their own time.
Finally, to help our advancement team and our Troop Guide, we had each patrol work with scouts to identify the specific requirements that must be completed for each scout to advance to the next rank. One scout complete his Second Class scoutmaster conference and will be able to request a Board of Review to complete his advancement.
Before leaving, we:
- Reminded all scouts to come to the “Four Chaplains Service” on Friday night at 7:30 PM at FBC of Hackensack (if they can make it),
- Reminded scouts that next week’s meeting will be a Patrol Meeting night and PLC planning meeting, and
- Celebrated Matthew R.’s birthday with a cake his family brought from home!
Troop 113 meets on Monday evenings at 7 PM and boys aged 11 thru 17 are welcome to come visit and check out our program. We meet in the Adult Lounge of First Baptist Church of Hackensack, NJ. Upcoming trips include visiting West Point for Army V. Navy Basketball, and a cabin trip to Valley Forge National Park to participate in the annual pilgrimage honoring the commitment and sacrifice of the Continental Army for surviving the winter at Valley Forge.