We had a very busy meeting last night, but sometimes busy is what we need to get a lot accomplished.
- One of our scouts provided a talk on “avoiding the dangers of using drugs, alcohol, and tobacco and other practices that could be harmful to your health” This was done to help our newer scouts complete Second Class requirement 9a.
- One of our scouts delivered a presentation on how he would complete requirements 3 and 8 of Cooking merit badge. He covered the scope of the requirements, how he researched the “answers” and how other scouts could complete the requirement on their own. He prepared study notes and we will distribute them electronically to scout families who are interested in completing this badge (the study notes don’t serve to “complete” the requirements, but serve as an aid to the scouts as they do their own work)
- The patrols met to plan an overnight-er for next week.
- Scoutmaster Farrell distributed “trail to eagle” planning worksheets designed to help individual scouts recognize what merit badges are complete, which are “partials” and what needs to be done to advance to the next rank. While this information can be derived from each scouts own handbook, placing everything into a single page makes it easier for families to track progress and make plans (especially as we head towards summer camp). The forms were completed and turned into Scoutmaster Farrell for scanning — the scans will be emailed individually to each family so that they have a copy, too.
- The January to June calendar was distributed and we will continue to work on refining the activities and outings planned during the next several months:
- The Pinewood Derby will be held on February 4th.
- If scouts are available to help David T. with his Eagle Scout Service Project, please let him know and plan to help set up/clean up on Friday evening at Carlstadt Christian Assembly.
- Save the date for two additional events:
- Eagle Scout Service Project – April 13th Carillon re-dedication ceremony and
- Christianity and Culture Conference – March 1 and 2.
Since the meeting was running long, the devotional handout (Rules of the Game discussion from “The Scout Law in Practice”) was provided to scouts to discuss with their parents instead of going through the full discussion during the meeting.
There will be NO MEETING on January 21st as this is Martin Luther King’s Birthday.
The next meeting will be held on January 28th.